Zoosk is an online dating site where messaging is a paid feature, and over 40 million members keep using it. What’s the secret? What’s so special about this online dating platform, and should you consider joining this huge community of singles? Find the answers in our in-depth Zoosk review.
Zoosk is a dating app and site created for all singles, regardless of their relationship goals. It’s a freemium website with both basic and special features. Over 86% of Zoosk members are from the United States.
Overall Zoosk rating
Zoosk in 30 seconds
- A popular casual dating app and site with tens of millions of members worldwide
- The vast majority of Zoosk users are from the United States
- Members may have different relationship goals, but most are seeking casual relationships and expect them to turn into serious relationships
- Around 60% of men to 40% of women, which is considered to be a good ratio for a dating site
- Messaging is a premium feature, so most members prefer to buy one of the available premium plans
- Fixed prices for premium plans, but members can buy Zoosk coins to use extra special features
- The system works using Dating Insights—the results of the in-depth analysis of a user’s behavior on the site and personal preferences
Who is and isn’t Zoosk for?
Pros & cons of using Zoosk
- Better moderation than on many dating sites in the market
- Profile verification is available
- Very active community with lots of potential partners to choose from
- A lot of special features to stand out on the site
- Fixed prices for premium plans, transparent pricing
- No free unlimited messaging
- Not all the profiles are detailed enough
Overview: Things you should know
Zoosk is one of the oldest popular platforms in the online dating industry—it was launched in 2007, over 15 years ago, and since then, it’s still going strong. Zoosk is most widely used in the United States but also has many members from Australia and Canada. There are over 40 million users registered on the site, which is a lot for a paid platform.
- Site name: Zoosk, Zoosk.com
- Free or paid: Paid with some free features, in particular, free registration
- Average sign-up time: 4 minutes
- Prices: from $13 per month
At first, it may seem that Zoosk is just another dating site with a more or less standard set of features. However, it’s not exactly true—there are many special, as well as standard yet high-quality features that help Zoosk stand out and withstand the competition.
- Live chat. Of course, all Zoosk members pay a premium to use this particular feature and contact others on the online dating site. However, we also must admit that online messenger works great and provides a great online dating experience, so you don’t have to worry about bugs.
- Smart Pick. Zoosk offers something more than just basic matching. There’s a behavioral matchmaking technology that allows an understanding of how users make their choices and suggests matches based on their previous likes and activity on the site overall.
- Invisible mode. If you’re going to use this dating app, you should consider that members will be able to see the profile visitors. If you don’t want your profile picture to be shown on this list, you can just go invisible.
- Virtual gifts. On the Zoosk platform, you can spend some extra coins on gifts, too. Of course, sending them to every attractive user doesn’t make much sense and is just expensive, but if you believe you’ve found the person you’ve been looking for, that will be a great feature to use.
- Undos and Crushes. If you were using the Carousel feature and accidentally swiped left despite the fact you really liked someone, you can use Undo. Also, if you like another user a lot, you can make them notice you by sending Crush.
- Profile boost. Let’s say you’d like to get more matches on Zoosk. In this case, you can just spend some coins on Boost, and thousands of singles who meet your basic criteria will see your account.
The main reason why there are so many positive Zoosk reviews is that this dating site really works. Yes, there’s not much you can do with a free Zoosk membership, but those who upgrade to premium can have a really great experience on the site due to the large variety of useful features. That’s why we give Zoosk 9.5 points out of 10 for this undoubtedly important criterion.
Zoosk can hardly be considered a free dating app—after all, the main feature, messaging, can be used only by Premium users. So, how much do singles usually spend on this online dating site? Currently, the costs of paid subscription are as follows:
- 3-month plan – $64.99 ($21.66 per month)
- 6-month plan – $77.99 ($13 per month)
- Extra premium features (Crushes & Undos) – $9.50 per month
Just like many other big dating sites and apps, there are extra special features that members can use any number of times. In the case of Zoosk, these are virtual gifts and boosts. Using them costs Zoosk coins, and here’s how much they cost:
- 60 coins – $9.99
- 180 coins – $19.95
- 480 coins – $39.95
So, what’s the verdict? The Zoosk dating website isn’t cheap, but it’s also not too expensive, considering that Zoosk members get access to the platform with a great dating pool, plenty of features, and can unlock unlimited messaging by making a one-time payment instead of buying credits all the time. So, in our opinion, Zoosk deserves 8.5 out of 10 points for its pricing.
The quality of the profile on this dating site pretty much depends on the user. We mean, Zoosk profiles are different. Some members add lots of photos, write their Stories (in fact, self-descriptions are what really make profiles stand out and provide you with the most useful information about the member), and pass photo verification. Some members provide just basic details, add one photo, and skip the verification stage.
Still, if we analyze the overall quality of profiles, Zoosk will get a good score. It’s hard to find fake accounts as the moderation system works perfectly, and most members realize they’ll hardly succeed on this dating site without making their profile work well enough. So, Zoosk gets 8 out of 10 for profile quality.
Ease of use
One of the main benefits of using this dating site is its modern design and user-friendly interface. There are plenty of online dating apps and sites that work great but look outdated or messy. On Zoosk, you can easily figure out how the system works without any difficulty and within the shortest time, so we can give it 9.5 out of 10 for usability.
So, is Zoosk just a hookup site or a decent online dating platform where you can find a partner and start a good relationship? Of course, everything will depend on how you use this dating site, but it’s definitely one of the apps where you can have a great experience and find lots of decent matches. Thousands of success stories started here, there are lots of great communication features and millions of legit Zoosk users, so if this dating site meets your criteria, why not give it a try?
Zoosk is an online dating website that works for all categories of users. In other words, it’s neither a hookup site nor a site for marriage—it works for all, regardless of their relationship goals. Still, most members join it to find a partner and start a casual relationship that can transform into something serious.
Basically, it works like most other platforms in the online dating world. A user creates an account, adds photos and information about themselves, and starts looking for matches. Zoosk is a paid site, so you’ll need to get a paid subscription. You can find more details in our Zoosk review.
If you want a great online dating experience on the Zoosk app or site, you can choose between a 3-month plan ($64.99) and a 6-month one ($77.99). There is also paid access to some special features, namely Crushes & Undos, which costs $9.50 a month, and coins you can spend on gifts and boosts.
Go to the Main Menu (if you’re using the Zoosk app, tap 3 lines at the top of the screen.) Choose Settings and then tap Subscription. Choose the premium plan, make a payment, and enjoy using Zoosk as a premium user.
Click your Profile. Go to Account Settings. Choose Edit, find the Deactivate button, and your Zoosk account will be deactivated.