In 2019, more than 35,000 Americans married foreigners—so if you’re interested in a relationship with someone from another country, you’re not alone. Here, you’ll find useful information on how to date foreign people successfully and learn about the pros and cons of dating a foreigner.
What’s it like dating a foreigner?
- The most popular region for international dating and marriages is Asia (Southeast Asia in particular). In 2019, the number of K-1 visa applications from this region was higher than from any other region of the world!
- While there will always be cultural differences between you and your foreign partner, these differences are not as great as they were a few decades ago. Even people from traditional countries with a patriarchal society know at least something about American culture and are to some extent influenced by it.
- Foreigners can get a green card and even become US citizens—if you’re an American citizen, it’s totally legal for you to marry your foreign partner and bring them to the United States.
- It’s always cool and interesting to learn about different cultures. Dating a foreigner is probably the best way to learn new languages and cultures immersively.
- Foreigners often have different family values and different views on a relationship. We can’t say that every foreigner you meet will be marriage-minded, but people from the most popular “dating countries” like the Philippines, Ukraine, or Colombia are generally more family-centered than Westerners.
- Dating someone from another country might be an interesting option for you if you’re into a May-December relationship. While it might be considered “creepy” to have a younger/older spouse in the US, it’s considered ok in other countries (Slavic and Asian countries in particular). So, if you’re in your 50s and want to meet a younger partner, these regions might be a great choice for you.
- Language barrier. This is one of those disadvantages of dating a foreigner you need to be aware of—unfortunately, not everyone in the world is a fluent English speaker. The good news is that people from the most popular countries for international relationships can speak at least a broken English.
- A different cultural background. This is one of the most serious problems for mixed couples—not all foreigners have the same values as you do, and the dating etiquette in foreign countries can be very different from the American one.
- Going to a different country might be pretty expensive. A round-trip ticket to an Asian country might cost you more than $1,000, and a hotel room might cost up to $50-$100 in expensive countries—so dating a foreigner can be much more expensive than dating a person from your city.
Successful tips on dating a foreigner
Now, when you know about the challenges of dating a foreigner, you might think that dating a foreigner is extremely difficult. However, it’s not that difficult. Here, you’ll find the top 4 tips that will help you succeed when dating foreign people.
- Follow safety rules. First, learn about the red flags when dating a foreigner—for example, when a person from another country wants you to send them money, it’s definitely a red flag. Choose only the best dating sites and double-check everything before you book a flight. The same goes for offline dating—having good travel insurance is a must, as well as following the basic safety rules when visiting dangerous countries.
- Learn about their culture in advance. We are talking about the dating culture and about the social culture—for example, in some countries, it’s not acceptable to kiss or even hug on the streets, and in other ones, you’ll have to meet the parents of your partner in a few weeks after your first date. Some of these cultural differences might lead to misunderstanding and inconvenience, but not if you learn about them in advance.
- Learn their language. Learning the language of your boyfriend or girlfriend is not that easy, especially when we’re talking about Slavic or Asian countries, but this will definitely help you improve the quality of your communication. This will also help you find common ground with both your partner and your partner’s family.
- Respect their country, culture, and religion. It doesn’t matter which country you’re traveling to, respect is always a must. Dress appropriately, adhere to cultural etiquette, and always travel with a sense of respect for the traditions you encounter. This will make it much easier for you to date locals successfully.
Of course, in addition to these tips, you should pay attention to the girl’s individual needs, but these are basic tips that will allow you to start a successful relationship with a foreigner.